Dalit and Oppressed Self-respect Movement Committee
Friends and Well-wishers,
Dalit and progressive organisations held a meeting in Freedom Park on 26th August to lay the foundation for a social movement in the wake of rising assaults on dalits, minorities, women and the oppressed. The participants, nearly 250 of them, had elaborate discussions and decided on the following:
1. The movement's aims and objectives: Protest against cultural politics of using the 'sacred cow'. Prevent atrocities on dalits, minorities, adivasi, women and the oppressed. Pressurise the govt to take action and protect fundamental rights.
2. To form a decisive movement to prevent repeated atrocities on dalits and untouchability in rural and modern life including education, housing, media, Government and the private sector.
3. To protect the rights of dalits, minorities and backward communities to eat food of their choice including beef.
4. To demand a minimum of 5 acres of land for all dalit families.
5. To defeat the right wing and brahminical politics. To prevent young men from the backward communities being used by the Sangh Parivaar. Educate to change the minds of dalits and the oppressed who have already become slaves of brahminical organisations.