1. If thou thinkest the Maker distinguished castes:
birth is according to these penalties for deeds.
2. Born a Sudra you die a Sudra:
it is only in this world of illusion that you assume the
3. If birth from a Brahman mother makes you Brahman:
why did you not come by another way ?
4. If birth from a Turk mother makes you Turk:
why were you not circumcised in the womb ?
5. If you milk black and yellow cows together:
will you be able to distinguish their milk ?
6. Sakhi :—O men, give up your pretence of great wisdom.
Says Kabir, Recite the name of the Bow-holder.
From The Bijak of Kabir, translated by the Rev. Ahmad Shah.